The Floor


      In my career I've had some challenges. Some may have been huge and some may have been small.Currently, I am a RMA (registered medical assistant) so everything that is done throughout the work hours require focus in every step of the way. On top of my orders for each patient I have to answer questions to help my coworkers, train new comers, and handle situations appropriately. That alone can be overwhelming and some ethical dilemmas I've had to encounter is telling my coworkers what they are doing wrongπŸ˜”. It isn't always easy! If something happens repeatedly it is my responsibility to report to my manager to find solutions to prevent issues and if I don't report my my job is on the line. Sometimes that can be easy but most of the time it hard because it puts my job, patients, and other coworkers at risk for minor mistakes as well.While processing options to fix a matter I do consider different positions within the company that may be better for the individual. At times I cant save them at all but I try. This becomes a struggle for me because bonds are built and I see the efforts their giving.
      When I have to answer questions I always use The Fairness Approach that is just how I was raised. "Treat people the way you want to be treated. Talk to people the way you want to be talked to. Respect is earned not given" www.99motivationalquotes.com. It's only the right thing to do. No matter how many times I've had to answer the same question, I answer calmly and with a smile. 😑 Not everyday is easy but that's my job responsibility. Some days I could just scream 😩 but that's inappropriate. I have to evaluate their work ethics and that where the decision making takes place. I have to step and make sure things are done correct because if not that could be my job, GONE! I also want to point out that I never make a decision off of what I've heard from other coworkers.I use my best judgement going off what I have observed πŸ‘€πŸ‘€ and identify the problem. Giving each person what he or she deserves (Andre, Meyer, Shanks, S.J., Valasques).
      Always wanting to Maintain Social Order when working with an individual. I want them to feel comfortable enough to ask questions. This process here only makes the staff stronger in a lot of ways. You learn to work together as a team not just as one. Working as one only leads to stress and anxiety 😭. Those two things can make or break someone working in the medical field. Working anywhere period. I've actually had to endure that stress when multiple RMA's were let go. Trust me, it wasn't my decision! I could never get up the nerve to fire someone luckily my supervisor understands the type of person I am. I just had to sit my supervisor down and tell her that isn't me at all and I'm not comfortable with fire anyone. It was a big relief she understood where I was coming from because she had been in the same position as me once before. WHEW!!!!!
      Overall, handling any situation accordingly is very important. You have to have control, balance, respect, empathy, and emotion (Neal). Without any structure it is hard to handle ethical dilemmas that come your way.
                                                             

Claire Andre, Michael Meyer, Thomas Shanks, SJ., Mauel Valasques. "Topic Justice and Fairness."
      www.scu.edu, Issues in Ethics V3N2, 1990

Neal, Bruno. "Handling Tough Situations with Emotional Intelligence." www.td.org, 15 May 2013.

                                                             



Comments

  1. I understand where you are coming from. I am also a Medical Assistant and have come across many ethical dilemmas daily. In the medical field, there are many times where we may feel as if someone is being treated unfairly, whether it is a patient or an employee. We as medical assistants must look out for what is best for the patient’s and make sure that they are getting the best treatment that is possible. We must make sure that certain protocols are being followed, by ourselves and our fellow coworkers, to ensure that best outcome regardless of the situation at hand. Most importantly you must try to be fair, maintain self-control and have compassion when dealing with patient’s and coworkers.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction